Monday, September 19, 2011

I'M ON MY WAY ...

I love to read. One of the things that helps me determine whether or not I'm reading a good book is if I can 'see' myself in it somewhere. Perhaps in the main character - or reflected in that character's friends, family members or somewhere in the greater community.

If I want to be the person I'm reading about, or I'd love to know that person, for whatever reason ~ I love the book. If I'm inspired by the character(s), the qualities they bring to life, the challenges they face and either work through, or don't ~ I'm grateful for participating in the experience.

More than ten years ago, I read a book called The Pull of the Moon by Elizabeth Berg. Briefly, it's about a woman named Nan who just turned fifty, and is dealing with how it feels to be an aging woman in this culture. She is very much focused on all she is losing. She decides to just leave on a driving trip, and the novel alternates between entries she makes in a journal and letters to her husband, Martin. By the end of the book, she has switched her focus from all she's losing to all she actually has.

There's a passage in this book that I return to every now and then ~ as not only do I sometimes feel this way myself - but I'm quite aware that others in my sphere of existence do as well: It's found on page 274 and it reads like this:

And now, in my own stillness, I hear something. 'Where have you been?' my inside body whispers to my outside one. Its sense of outrage is present, but dulled by the grief of abandonment. 'I had ideas. There were things to do. Where did you go?'

What can I answer? Oh, I had some errands to run. I had a few things to do. I needed to get married and have a child and go underground for 25 years, be pleasantly suffocated. I meant to come back. But the bread crumbs got blown away.

So many of us have drifted. Some of us don't really remember who we used to be - and we don't feel completely comfortable with who we're living as now. Or we're caught in transition ~ on the way out of one phase of our lives, knowing that we're to step into the next one - and not entirely sure what that step should be, where it should be placed, for what purpose.

We are questioning what lights us up from the inside out ~ or we're fully aware of what fuels our inner light but we're not sure how to bring that into the reality we're existing in so far.

What if our bread crumbs didn't blow away? What if, when we're ready to look back, clues to who we once were lay waiting for us to decipher - and like scattered bread crumbs, we could pick up the ones that we want to re-integrate into who we now are and allow the others to blow away?

What bread crumbs would you see, the ones you'd want to keep and put in your pocket to remind you who you are? And how might these bread crumbs help you clarify your next step on the path of where you're going, from Here to There?

 

7 comments:

  1. These are NOT easy questions - though definitely ones I grapple with. Looking back, I'd say I'd look for, and pocket, the bread crumbs representing Smart, Funny, Kind and Fun To Be With. I'd seek out Confident ~ not sure what the heck happened to that bread crumb but I'm fairly certain I'd take on any bird that threatened to keep it from me. And I wouldn't mind pocketing Adventurous -- whether or not it ever reflected me then ... it's something I'd love to be now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post and so true about losing sight of our bread crumbs. Hmm..mine would be sense of humor, smart, talker, nice. My confidence bread crumbs come and go. Adventurous, like you I hope I had and follow it more; physically fearless is one I'm not sure I ever had but would like to have.

    Thanks for a provocative post. Cherry

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cherry - thank you for being here!

    I'd like to be more Adventurous in the areas of Risk-Taking and Grabbing Each Moment while squeezing every OUNCE of meaning and opportunity out of it.

    I'm not one for extreme types of excitement ~ though maybe that's a resistance to think through once I've got the more experiential aspects underway?

    If only we could better see ourselves as others see us ... because whenever I interact with you, the bread crumbs you've noted are readily visible and glorious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm a very comfortable almost mid fifties. I'm very comfortable with my body despite the surgical scars, they are part of me. I wish I had been a lot easier on my younger self and accepting of my limitations. I can't dance well but I can enjoy watching those who do, and if I choose to dance I can pick a partner with a sense of humor just happy to be moving and swaying and whirling to the music, just having fun. This is a gift of age. ~ jody

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think my bread crumbs blew away a long time ago. That's been the best gift, winding my way along as I find myself again after being buried alive by making a home for fifteen years. As I told my hubby today, some people focus on where they want to go, all the while not realizing it's the journey that makes life worth living. Thank you for sharing this wonderful insight
    today. -Wearmanyhats

    ReplyDelete